NEBOSH International General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
Be at the top of the list for job interviews or quickly progress within your organisation as a professional health and safety practitioner!
The NEBOSH International General Certificate is the world’s most popular health and safety qualification and provides you with essential knowledge and understanding. NEBOSH Certificates are highly valued by employers globally.
Undertaking this NEBOSH Certificate course will help you become a fully qualified and competent health & safety officer.
You’ll learn how to apply the best industry standards for managing health and safety systems, in any industry.
Covering two core units, the General Certificate provides the key information needed by managers and supervisors to ensure their workplace remains safe and that workplace risks are minimised.
In line with legislation and guidance from the World Health Organization, the General Certificate teaches to the high standards required by health and safety professionals across the globe.
Who is the NEBOSH International Certificate course suitable for?
The course is suitable for those who are involved in the day-to-day operational management of HSE. The qualification is held by around 90 000 people worldwide.
Moreover, the course is an excellent foundation for those aspiring to a career in Health and Safety, enabling advancement to further professional study and career development.
The NEBOSH International General Certificate consists of two Units:
Unit IG1: Management of Health and Safety
- Element 1 Why we should manage workplace health and safety.
- Element 2 How health and safety management systems work and what they look like.
- Element 3 Managing risk — understanding people and processes.
- Element 4 Health and safety monitoring and measuring.
Unit IG2: Risk Assessment
- Element 5 Physical and psychological health.
- Element 6 Musculoskeletal health.
- Element 7 Chemical and biological agents.
- Element 8 General workplace issues.
- Element 9 Work equipment.
- Element 10 Fire.
- Element 11 Electricity.
There are two assessments, one per Unit and both must be passed within 5 years.
- Unit IG1 is assessed by an open book, scenario-based assessment which is completed at home and should take around 4 hours to complete. The exam questions will only cover the topics in the IG1 course.
- Unit IG2 is assessed by a practical assessment. This will be marked by NEBOSH and if you are unsuccessful, you will be allowed to improve your work and resubmit at the next exam date.
- Unit IG1: 45 marks
- Unit IG2: Pass (Only Pass or Fail available for this assessment)
The qualification grade is based on the result from Unit IG1
- Distinction: 75 marks or higher
- Credit: 65-74 marks
- Pass: 45-64 marks
You can however choose to resit IG1 even if you have passed to improve your grade.
Exams are held every month throughout the year for English Language. For any other languages, exams are held in March, June September, and December.
Key benefits of the NEBOSH International certificate
- Demonstrate your commitment to health and safety to both employees and fellow businesses.
- When employees are qualified at certificate level, your company reputation is improved by demonstrating that key social responsibilities and ethical practices are met by employing trained professionals.
- Improve health and safety culture across your business.
- Boost your career prospects by creating a strong foundation for a career in health and safety.
- Develop confidence in your role as a health and safety practitioner with world leading key knowledge and skills.
- Learn to recognise and minimise workplace risk so you can safeguard your colleagues.
- Completing a training course via Online Learning is very cost-effective; reduces employee downtime, travel, accommodation, and other expenses.
Key learner outcomes
- Legal requirements for health and safety at work
- Implementation of health and safety managements systems
- Identification of workplace hazards
- Methods of hazard control
- Practical application of knowledge and understanding
How long time does the certificate take to complete?
This will depend on how you choose to study. The Classroom and Live Online courses are taught over 2 weeks (10 days) plus assessments. For Online study on average, we recommend spending between 105 and 115 hours on the course. Learners complete this course in around 3-6 months.
Holders of the NEBOSH International General Certificate are entitled to
- Associate Membership (AIOSH) of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH). The qualification also meets the academic requirements for Technical Membership of IOSH (Tech IOSH),
- Associate Membership of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM). For further details please contact IIRSM.
Achieving the NEBOSH International General certificate leads to the opportunity to take NEBOSH qualifications focused on specific industries, such as Construction, fire, and the environment. After studying this Certificate, many candidates also progress to the degree-level NEBOSH International Diploma.
in association with Astutis
€ 784.0 Ex. VAT